Monday, January 16, 2012

Coming Full Circle

Man! I just LOVE teenagers and 20-somethings! Lot's of folks have called me crazy for the teenager part, but I cannot deny it or even pretend it is something it's not.  And I love every minute of it.

For around 5 or 6 years I have been involved in the local high school band as a volunteer and my church's youth group. Through these decisions I come in contact with many, many teenagers plus the occasional 20-something. In 2011 the Lord led me to begin a small discipleship/bible study group. As much as I love teenagers I thought I had lost my mind. Huge consistent responsibility, and  I had never stepped out in a formal way like this to actually teach in a small setting. I do not consider teaching to be one of my gifts. Discipleship, however, IS, and I have been discipling teens for a very long time. And so AMPliFy was born.

I believe discipleship isn't about sitting down with the bible and learning. I believe it is time spent and invested in relationship. It's coffee at Starbucks, hanging at my house cooking together or watching movies. It's extending  invitation after invitation to just be together even though I know I may get rejected some. It's about responding YES to the last minute phone call for a ride needed when I can, a quick hug at school when the day isn't going well, and shutting up and listening when a teen just wants to talk. 

Bear with me as I jump around a bit....

A few months ago I was invited to attend a small, college aged group called Captivate. I politely declined the first few times [ I am 43, although I don't think the group leader has NOTICED haha ] but the group leader [an awesome 20-something himself!] was very persistent. Finally I reminded him that I was not the right age for this group and he assured me that neither he nor the group cared. He just wanted me to come. So I went. And kept going. Eventually I felt like the Captivate was a good fit for a couple of my AMPliFy kids so I took them one Tuesday evening. They loved it and kept going back on their own. 

Individual prayer is often given at Captivate and one of the AMPliFy kids, whom I have known for 4yrs now, came straight to me to pray for me at prayer time. His prayer was simple, powerful and sincere. I know that the Lord heard it and answered it. He was so bold and it really wowed me. My investment of time, teaching, discipling  and prayer came back around to me in a powerful and definitely unexpected way. Talk about coming full circle!

If I had felt like teenagers were less than I because their number of days has been shorter then I would have missed out on so much joy and just so much GOD in the last several years. I am so grateful to the Lord for this calling on my life and His equipping to walk it out.



1 Timothy 4:12

New Living Translation (NLT)

12 Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 
Blessings, y'all! 


Robin

6 comments:

Peskie said...

Needs a like button

Lisa Rattner said...

That's a good Word. I love what you say about relationship and being available...that's what Jesus did. Yes, he taught and told stories but he was in people's lives...their messy, needy, pain-filled lives. I pray that He would use what you wrote to remind all of us how much our teens and young adults need us to just be with them. Without judgment or unsolicited advice. Wish I would have learned that a little earlier with my own kids.
Love you!

Jody said...

I am with you on lovin' those teens and 20-somethings! If the grief book I wrote can ever be of help to any of "your kids" -- it's a free "tool" to you, dear friend. I am also available for a 'hangout' session in that subject if they need it. BLESSINGS on you and your servant heart, Robin!

Robin said...

Peskie: NO! lol. I love what words words say that a like button does now. <3 Lisa, I wish I had learned it earlier with my own kids...Jody, I am going to FB msg you about that book!

Greg said...

...knew it all along!

Robin said...

Yes Greg, you did! lol. You were telling me I was called for youth ministry during the years I was sprinting in the other direction! Thanks for the heads up and I really am sorry I did not ever make it into serving your youth.